WUP alumni Ryan Malone played his first professional league match with German club FC Magdeburg this past week. Ryan who played for WUP from the ages of 10 to 18 signed a professional contract in June and is playing in the German 3rd Division just two steps away from the elite Bundesliga. Ryan’s debut was in front of 20,000 fans. Ryan is one of two WUP alumni playing professionally in Germany. Congratulations Ryan.
Chris Taylor of the NE Revs Academy staff trains WUP 2003/2004 players on Anna Dias. The NE Revolution WUP partnership is now in its third year with former WUP alumni Amos Shapiro Thompson and Trey Miller shining for the Revs Academy teams.
The WUP u20 boys defeated NEFC today to clinch first place in the u20 NEP Central Division and earn top seed in the u20 playoffs. The playoffs are scheduled July 25 in Marlboro. Good Luck boys!
Congratulations to all WUP teams for their excellent Memorial Day results.
Champions: Jij Mercer’s u11 boys red Oakwood Invitational, Greg Kolodziey’s u13 boys white Bridgewater Cup, Mark Platts’ u14 girls red FC Delco Players Cup, Jason Carrington’s u15 girls white Needham.
When: Friday, April 10, 2015 from 7pm-11pm
Where: Holyoke Elks
Spring Fling Tickets are available for sale and can be purchased by either contacting Marisa Castro at email@example.com or ordering them through your team manager. Deadline to order is Friday April 3, 2015. Don't miss the fun, excitement, and raffles including the $10,000 grand prize drawing. Dinner, DJ and cash bar included with ticket of $20 per person.
The U11 red team coached by Jij Mercer & Sean Gouvin won the Scorpion Bowl Barcelona Division championship last weekend. Despite the cold and snowy conditions the boys prevailed against the host Scorpions in a great semifinal match and then defeated GPS North for the title. The boys are heading to the Jefferson Cup in VA this weekend. Congratulations boys.
Over 60 parents and players attended WUP's College Night to hear presentations by MCLA's Deb Raber, WMA's John Boozang & Gary Cook, Franklin Pierce's Roy Fink and Smith College's Mark Platts. The coaches provided the audience with a wealth of information about the college recruiting process that will help them in planning for their college years. With over 80 alumni currently playing in college, helping our players get recruited is a large part of WUP's mission.
Got Team News?
If your Western United Pioneers team is playing in a tournament, has a team photo, or has other things you'd like to see on the team page, please contact the webmaster
Ask the Referee
Ask the Referee #8
If a player changes places with the goalkeeper without prior permission from the referee, is it necessary to stop the game?
- It is not necessary, as long as the new goalkeeper is not controlling the ball with any part of his hands or arms.
- It is at the discretion of the referee.
- No, play continues until the next stoppage when both players are cautioned.
Ask the Referee #7
Situation:A player from the blue team is on a break away against the red team. The blue team player beats the keeper and has an open goal to shoot at. As he shoots the ball toward the open goal, a substitute player from the red team (that is warming up behind the goal) runs onto the field and kicks the ball out of play before it completely crosses the goal line. What would the call be?
- Count the goal, issue a red card to the player from the red team and the red team plays short handed
- Issue a red card to the player from the, the red team plays short and award a penalty kick.
- Issue a red card to the player from the red team, the team does not play short and award an indirect free kick at the 6 yard box.
- Award the goal & verbally caution the substitute explaining to them that their play was unsportsmanlike
Ask the Referee #6
Situation:It is bad weather day and the wind is howling. It's Team A's turn to kick off, and Number 11 is the kicker. He tries to drive the ball down field. Unfortunately, the ball gets held up by a wind gust and blows back toward midfield. While players for both teams stand bewildered, Number 11 runs and meets the ball and starts to dribble the ball up the field. Can number 11 do that? If no, what would the call be?
- Play on!
- Goal kick for Team B
- The kick-off is retaken.
- C) Indirect free kick to Team B
- Dropped ball
Ask the Referee #5
Situation:The blue goal keeper is taking a goal kick. Before the ball leaves the penalty area, a red player enters the penalty area to intercept the ball and is violently pushed to the ground by another blue player. You stop play and show the red card to this blue player and restart with a penalty kick to the red team.
Is issuing a red card and awarding a penalty kick the correct call?
Ask the Referee #4
Situation:Team A is setting up for a free kick. A defender goes to kick the ball, but he realizes that his kick isn't very powerful. He turns around and passes back to the goalkeeper. The goalkeeper, caught off guard is unable to save the ball as it rolls into the goal. What's the call?
- No goal; a goal kick is taken
- An own goal. Time for a kick-off!
- No goal. A corner kick is taken
- No goal; a dropped ball is given
Ask the Referee #3
Theres a corner kick for team A. Team B's keeper makes the save and in doing so gets tangled up with a player from team A. After the two players seperate, Team B's keeper distributes the ball down field. While the ball is now clearly down field and in team A's penalty area Team B's keeper punches team A's attacking player in the head. What would the restart be?.
- Immediately stop play and award and indirect free kick from where the ball is for team B and eject the keeper for violent conduct.
- Let play continue until the next stoppage and then eject the keeper for violent conduct.
- Immediately stop play, award a indirect free kick from the spot where the keeper struck the player from team B and caution the keeper.
- Immediately stop play, award a penalty kick and eject the keeper for violent conduct
Ask the Referee #2
An offensive player dribbles away from their opponents’ goal trying to create space for a shot. The offensive player is fouled outside the box but the ball was clearly on the 18 yard line.
The player was going away from the goal, they were fouled outside the box but the ball was clearly on the top of the 18 yard line.
What are the restart and caution/red card?
- A direct kick from the top of the box and red card to the defender for denying a goal scoring opportunity.
- A direct kick from the top of the box and caution to the defender for a reckless challenge.
- A penalty kick from the spot and caution to the defender for a reckless challenge.
- A penalty kick from the spot and a red card to the defender for denying a goal scoring opportunity.